
A visitor to Death Valley National Park has stepped forward and claimed responsibility for smashing over a 113-year-old sugar tram tower last month, claiming it took place in a desperate situation and that there was no intention to hurt the ancient structure. Park officials said the incident occurred at a time of desperation.
” We are grateful to the dozens of people who reached out to the area with information and for all the claims of help that we received from people who care about this place and its social tools,” said standing Supt. Elizabeth Ibañez in a written speech. We are pleased that the person who did this eventually accepted responsibility for their actions and came forward, even though we would like that this injury had n’t occurred.
The admission comes three times after park officials requested assistance from the public regarding the ruined tower that was a part of the 13-mile Saline Valley Salt Tram, a 13-mile aerial tramway built in 1911. According to the officers, one toppled it between April 1 and April 24 when they attached a pulley to the building to get their car out of the dirt after leaving the main street.
The person responsible for pulling over the salt tram referred to the tip line in an earlier press release, stating that it was n’t their intention to harm the historic structure and that it was done in a desperate situation.
Park officials did not identify the people, but an 11-minute run rod video reported by Inside Magazine may have shown those responsible for the tower’s destruction.
An written version of the video was posted on the magazine’s website. The video’s first scene, which is about two minutes longer, begins with a person standing next to a girl wearing a green bra top, christian shorts, and a trucker hat. The person informs the vehicle that she requires a pulley.
” We went a little too far into the clay, and there’s nothing to hit the crane onto”, she’s heard saying.
The metro tower, which appears to be lying on its side, is then visible in the film, which is a white truck driving a camper through the mud. After an attempt to pull the car out failed, the picture also shows the person next to a man wearing a wool sweater and christian clothes. A second line is ultimately required to remove the vehicle, but the movie does n’t finish before it can demonstrate the results of that maneuver.
The magazine included a picture of the person in the flannel shirt removing a pulley from the destroyed building, though it’s not clear whether the pair or any other individuals were responsible for the tower’s fall.
A spokeswoman did not respond to inquiries from The Times regarding whether the man responsible was in the picture.
A resource management team will assess the sugar metro tower’s damage and come up with repair plans, according to the National Park Service. Additionally, it instructed the government to maintain patience and refrain from attempting to restore the tower itself.
According to officials, the affair served as a reminder of why it’s crucial to have a satellite-based communication device when visiting remote areas with limited cell service.
Park rangers advise residents to stay on paved highways during this time of year because help is more readily applicable because Death Valley’s prominent summer temperatures are keeping up.
___
© 2024 Los Angeles Times
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.