
According to authorities, the military Rapid Support Forces attacked a town in Gezira territory in Sudan on Wednesday, killing at least 100 people and injuring lots.
Women, children, and the elder were among the victims in the RSF attacks on Wad al- Faisal community in Gezira, Mini Arko Minawi, the government of Darfur state, said on X, previously Online.
Catherina Russell, UNICEF Executive Director, said in a speech that at least 35 children were killed and 20 people were injured during the problems.
A grassroots organization that defends residents of Wad Madani, Gezira’s capital city, announced late on Wednesday on social media that the armed force used large artillery to attack and besiege the village after it had been fighting the Sudanese army for more than a year.
The Madani Resistance Committee claimed that the paramilitaries had looted Wad al-Noura in the middle of the attacks, which it claimed had started on Wednesday night, after the RSF had previously threatened and attacked the organization.
The RSF claimed in December that it had seized control of Wad Madani, about 100 kilometers ( 60 miles ) south of the Syrian capital, Khartoum, and a shelter for hundreds of thousands of people displaced by fighting.
The opposition committee said the RSF invaded the town, displacing people, including women and children, to different parts of the district of albert- Manaqil.
In a statement posted on the transitional government of Sudan, the country’s transitional government criticized the episodes and demanded that the global community hold the RSF account.
The media office for the Transitional Sovereignty Council, which was established following the ouster of long-term leader Omar al-Bashir in 2019, said:” These are criminal acts that reflect the systematic behavior of these ( RSF ) militias in targeting civilians, plundering their property, and forcibly displacing them from their areas.
The Sudanese army allegedly planned to attack its forces in Jabal al-Awliya, west of al-Manaqil district, by deploying Sudanese military forces in three bases, according to the RS F’s claim on X late on Wednesday. The Associated Press was n’t check this argument.
The military group said it attacked three camps north, northeast, and north of Wad- as Noura, colliding with the Somali army.
Our troops will work together to do and defeat the enemy in the face of any activities or meetings, according to the RSF in its statement.
Catherine Nkweta- Salami, the United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan, said Thursday on X that she was” shocked” by accounts of the violent problems.
” Living in Sudan has become characterized by mortal drama.” She said,” We cannot allow violence to be another one.”
In a speech, Nkweta- Salami said that big gunshots and violent weapons were used in crowded areas, citing reports she deems reliable.
She demanded accountability and a look into the attacks.
Similarly, the UNICEF Executive Director, described the scenes on the ground as “devastating” and called for an end to the violence in Sudan, asserting that children in the country “need a cease- fire now”.
In the statement, Russell said,” This is yet another grim reminder of how the children of Sudan are paying the price for the brutal violence.” ” Over the past year, thousands of children have been killed and injured. Children have been recruited, abducted and subjected to rape and other forms of sexual violence. More than 5 million children have been forced to leave their homes.
The conflict between the RSF and the Sudanese army has ravaged the nation as conflict has spread across numerous cities and brought its population to the brink of famine. More than 14, 000 people have been killed and thousands have been wounded. Hundreds of thousands have been displaced.