A Manhattan prosecutor has denied President-elect Donald Trump’s request to defer his imprisonment in a hush-money situation, set for only over a year before his opening.
Despite receiving appeals from Trump’s legitimate group, Judge Juan Merchan upheld his previous ruling on Monday, denying the charge to postpone the significant event.
Trump, convicted of falsifying business documents in 2023, faces sentencing on January 10, 2025, though prison time is doubtful.
Trump’s legal team argued that a delay may be necessary given his recent political victory, but the court held that the proceedings had proceed as planned. The sentencing is set for Friday, January 10, only ten times before Trump’s inauguration as the 47th president of the United States.
Judge Merchan noted in his decision that Trump’s claims generally reaffirmed earlier movements that had previously been rejected. ” Defendant’s motion for a stay of these proceedings … is hereby denied”, Merchan wrote. Trump’s lawyers had requested that imprisonment be postponed while they sought an appeal from a Manhattan judge.
Merchan stated that he is considering an absolute transfer, saving Trump from both probation and imprisonment. He had also become the first US president to have a felon conviction before entering the White House, though.
Trump, 78, was certified the success of the 2024 poll after a contested battle. His next word begins on January 20, 2025, and it marks a remarkable political resumption following his 2020 battle and the Capitol riot that followed.
Trending
- PM Modi, Muhammad Yunus may meet in Thailand, says Dhaka
- In Nepal’s classrooms, youngsters wonder if republic has delivered
- Border Patrol agents stay with stranded Mexican women overnight on Otay Mountain
- Tariffs expected to hike up costs of Toyota trucks made in Baja
- IBWC head identifies pinch points while surveying flood damage in Rio Grande Valley
- Lawn Gone Liberty: The Update
- Useless Government Program to Be Eliminated, Just As It Was to Be in 2017
- Another man caught trying to smuggle drugs in rectum at Ysleta Port of Entry, CBP says