The White House announced on Sunday that a deal between Lebanon and Israel had been extended until February 18 because Israel had missed a previous timeframe to withdraw forces.
” The agreement between Lebanon and Israel, monitored by the United States, will continue to be in effect until February 18, 2025″, the White House said in a short speech.
Additionally, Donald Trump’s White House stated that the United States may deal with Israel and Lebanon to obtain Palestinian prisoners who had been imprisoned since the Hamas attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, which had sparked parallel fighting, initially on a smaller scale, between Israel and Lebanon’s Hezbollah.
The speech did not explicitly explain a ceasefire, which has been significantly in question as Israeli forces killed 22 individuals on Sunday, according to Lebanon’s health department.
Additionally, the White House made no mention of France, which supported the United States ‘ peace efforts on November 27 under former president Joe Biden.
The bargain ended Israel’s military battle in Lebanon against Iranian-backed Hezbollah. As the Israeli army withdrew, the Syrian army was scheduled to accompany UN soldiers in the south in accordance with the 60-day agreement.
Israel claimed in recent days that it had no intention of meeting the deadline because the newly formed infantry in Lebanon had not adhered to its side of the bargain.
On Sunday, Jewish troops opened fire and killed 22 people, including six women, as they returned to their villages, according to Lebanon’s health department.
The Israeli army said it qualified suspects who “presented immediate danger” to its soldiers.
Trending
- Fresno State U. lecturer under fire for posts wishing for death of Trump, Musk
- Democratic states sue Trump over move to reshape elections
- Trump fires 3 national security officials over concerns they are not loyal: Report
- Shingles vax can decrease dementia risk, finds study
- Trump unveils ‘gold card’ and suggests it will be available in two weeks
- Conservative group launches first lawsuit against Trump emergency China tariffs
- Border migrant shelters become ghost towns
- Baja makes $350M annually from visitors, tourism board says