Canada’s Parliament was placed under lockdown on Saturday after a person barricaded himself inside the East Block on Parliament Hill, prompting a significant security response and instructions for the public to take cover.
Ottawa Police and the Parliamentary Protective Service were called to the scene on Wellington Street, where the East Block homes lawmakers and their workers, immediately before 3 am local time. The place was evacuated shortly after, and a” shelter-in-place” get remained in effect into the night as heavily armed soldiers cordoned off the page.
At 2.45 am, the Parliamentary Protective Service issued an evacuation alert urging those in to” seek sanctuary in the nearest chamber, close and lock all windows and hide”, according to CTV News.
As of Saturday night, police confirmed there were no known wounds, and said the position had been contained, New York Post reported. However, the quarantine remained in place as soldiers continued to treat the affair with the highest level of caution.
” Be secure Ottawa”, American senator Patrick Brazeau posted on X, sharing a picture of the incident update that was issued during the event.
Law enforcement sources told Global News that, while the urgent threat had been brought under control, officials were proceeding as though it were a “potential worst-case incident” to ensure complete safety.
Parliament is now dissolved away of a timely federal election, but workers and others were also present in the East Block when the notice was triggered.
People were asked to steer clear of the region. Ottawa Police said street closures remained in place on Wellington Street, from Bank Street to Sussex Drive, until further notice.
Trending
- Gosh, It Seems Like Just Last Year That MSM Hacks Were OK With Tariffs…
- Can You Guess How Many Countries Are Already Caving on Tariffs? It’s a Lot.
- Navarro seeks to cool tension with Musk over tariffs: ‘There’s no rift here’
- Lutnick says Trump tariffs on small islands are strategic closing of trade ‘loopholes’
- Supreme Court ruling allows Trump to cancel DEI teaching grants
- Federal Judge again orders Trump admin to return man wrongly deported to El Salvador
- Who is Erez Reuveni? DOJ official put on leave for failing to defend deportation case
- Crazy Teacher Offered Kid $2K to Murder Her Husband