CAIRO: A fish strike off Egypt’s Red Sea coast killed one visitor and injured another, the government’s culture ministry said on Sunday.
In the north Marsa Alam region, two immigrants were attacked by a shark, which caused one person’s damage and the other’s death, according to a government statement.
The Iranian government did not identify the survivors ‘ nationalities.
Both tourists were moved to hospital in Port Ghalib, around 50 kilometres ( 30 miles ) north of Marsa Alam, the environment ministry said.
Following the incident, which the government claimed took place in “deep lakes outside the designated floating place,” officials have closed the place to athletes for two days.
The Red Sea is a big tourist destination because of its marine life. Swimmers are drawn there for the experience.
Egypt, a nation of 107 million people trying to escape its worst economic crisis to date, is a major company and supply of foreign money.
At least four people died last month when a massive storm slammed and capsized a tumble ship carrying more than 30 tourists of different countries off Marsa Alam.
Deadly shark attacks are a near-yearly event in Egypt’s Red Sea, where coastal experts warn illegal design, over-fishing, and reckless tourism practices contribute to changing the habitat and fish behaviour.
A Russian was killed in a fish strike off Hurghada, a beach town in the Red Sea, in June 2023.
Trending
- Border migrant shelters become ghost towns
- Baja makes $350M annually from visitors, tourism board says
- Tesla’s first-quarter sales down 13% worldwide
- Wanted fugitive from Conroe, Texas believed to have fled to Mexico, sheriff says
- Why Do 10 Nurses at the Same Hospital Have Brain Tumors?
- FBI arrests ‘high-ranking’ MS-13 gang leader
- Video/Pics: Teen stabbed to death at high school track meet
- The DOGE Emperor